1. Main Features
- Runs on standard x86 hardware
- Includes a desktop that allows you to view files and folders in different windows
- Suitable for both home and professional use
- Provides a personal digital assistant named Cortana
- Enables you to write on webpages and read articles without ads with Microsoft Edge
- Allows you to browse and download apps, games, music, movies, and TV shows through the Windows Store
2. Software Overview
Microsoft Windows is an operating system developed by Microsoft. Each version includes a graphical user interface, with a desktop that enables you to view files and folders in different windows. Competitors to Windows include Apple's macOS platform and Linux-based operating systems such as Linux Mint and Ubuntu.
Windows is included with many computer purchases, including those from Dell, Sony, HP, Lenovo, and other manufacturers. Users of home-built PCs also commonly install Windows as opposed to other operating systems. Microsoft added support for touchscreen devices with Windows 7, and therefore the software is now run on many tablets as well.
The release of Windows 10 introduced Cortana, a virtual assistant along the lines of Apple's Siri that is designed to help you find files, manage your calendar, and perform other tasks. Cortana is integrated with Edge, Windows' default web browser, which replaced Internet Explorer. The browser comes with familiar browsing tools along with unique features such as Web Notes and Reading view. Another new application introduced in Windows 10 is Groove Music, the new default music player for Windows.
Microsoft Windows is the most commonly used operating system for personal and corporate computers. It is compatible with a wide array of hardware specifications and has the largest community of software developers for both personal and productivity software. The operating system is suitable for both home and professional users.
3. Supported File Types
Updated: April 17, 2021